SCA Budget Alert | FY20 House Appropriations – Defense
May 21, 2019
By a vote of 30-22, the House Appropriations Committee passed its mark of the FY20 Defense Appropriations Bill. The bill provides topline spending for the Pentagon of $690.2 billion, including $622.1 billion in base funding and $68.1 billion for Overseas Contingency Operations (OCO) funds. The combined total is $165 million above the FY19 enacted level and $96.2 billion below the President’s request. The $622.1 billion in base funding is above the FY20 budget cap which is set at $576 billion. Congress must pass legislation to raise the budget caps.
The bill provides $21.7 billion for Navy shipbuilding, $2.08 billion less than the President’s request. In total, the bill funds the construction of 11 new battle force ships including:
- 1 Ford Class Aircraft Carrier
- 3 DDG-51 Destroyers
- 2 Virginia class submarines
- 1 FFG(X) frigate
- 2 TAO Fleet oilers
- 2 Towing, Salvage & Rescue Ships (T-ATS)
Additionally, the bill makes investments to accelerate future shipbuilding priorities including:
- $1.6 billion in advanced procurement for the first Columbia-class submarine
- $4.3 billion in advanced procurement for three Virginia-class submarines
- $65 million for one Ship to Shore Connector, one more than the request
You can view the SCA summary by logging in and clicking the image at right.